The Inca Trail is a walking adventure cataloged as one of the 25 best hiking tours around the world, and the best? this Special Inca Trail has as destination the Inca citadel of Machu Picchu. Did you know that exits two routes to reach at the lost city of the Incas but through the inca path? We are talking about the Classic Inca Trail of 4 days and the Short Inca Trail of 2 days. While the Classic is more popular and more promoted, the short route also offers an unforgettable experience with less effort.
Below we show you the differences between the Classic Inca Trail and the Inca Short Trail. Are you ready??
Classic Inca Trail – 4 Days / 3 Nights
Explore the Traditional Inca Trail to Machu Picchu:
This version is perfect for those who like an experience of total immersion in nature, finally reach the splendid citadel of Machu Picchu and make the respective tour with our professional guides. Next we describe this fantastic package, one of the most famous and demanded among the explorers in the world.
- In terms of degree of difficulty, it can be classified as intermediate. It has a total of 46 km of walk, making an average of 11.5 km per day, reaching maximum heights of 4,200 meters above sea level, in the spectacular Warmiwañuska gorge. A person with average physical condition can do it without problems. If this is not the case, you can start training and life the real adventure.
- The Traditional Inca Trail visits truly beautiful and unforgettable landscapes! It can be compared to treks in the Himalayas or Kilimanjaro. It begins with tours of the Andean highlands: massive series of mountains, snowy mountains, rivers, lagoons, forests, flora, typical fauna and huge, wonderful landscapes. As we go down in the direction of Machu Picchu, the tour enters the edge of the Amazon subtropical forest, where we will be in the middle of huge green mountains, forests, rivers and a pleasant warm climate.
- One of the included activities that visitors prefer is the tour with a professional guide through impressive Inca archaeological remains, which can be compared to the Mayas or Aztecs. The Classic Inca Trail stops at: Patallacta, Sayaqmarca, Wiñaywayna, Inti Punku (Sun Gate) and finally Machu Picchu of course. You can take photos, videos, marvel at the Inca architecture and learn a lot about its history.
- It will be a fascinating experience for your 2020 holidays, and this is expressed by walkers from around the world on social networks. March for hours in the silent, healthy Andean heights is the best physical exercise and also a way to eliminate all the emotional tensions of urban life. Nature emits a strong energy that revitalizes body and mind.
Explore the Shorter version of Inca Trail to Machu Picchu:
This option is ideal for those who wish to have the true experience of the march through the Andean-jungle heights in 2019 but do not have much time or do not want to be 4 days away from civilization or maybe if the Classic Inca Trail tickets are sold out. Let’s see:
- This variant includes about 6 hours of walking on day 1, until reaching the Inti Punku or Sun Gate, from where you have an impressive view of Machu Picchu. The total of march is approximately 10 km. The second day everything is done by bus (Aguas Calientes, Machu Picchu up / down). It is a package of easy category but whose level of adventure can be compared with the Classic.
- From the city of Cusco to the 104 km of the highway you will have a 3 and a half hour bus ride, very comfortable and relaxing where you can admire the imposing beauty of the Andean landscapes. From km 104 the road begins by beautiful mountains, relaxing nature of the mountains. Then you will go down the western border of the Amazon jungle, until reach the Inti Punku – Machu Picchu area.
- This tour includes the spectacular Inca archaeological remains of Wiñaywayna, Inti Punku and Machu Picchu, all with professional guides. In Machu Picchu, after the guided tour, you will have free time to continue exploring the citadel at your discretion.The experience of this package can be compared to the Classic Inca Trail, it is also equally exciting, healthy and relaxing. You will travel the wonderful Andean mountain range and jungle, enjoying unforgettable landscapes, exercising the body, calming the mind and absorbing the powerful natural energy. You can also enjoy the many attractions of the town of Aguas Calientes (restaurants and bars, Inca spas, thermal baths, craft market, etc)
The availability of spaces is one of the most important differences between the two routes.
- The Classic Inca Trail supports up to 500 people daily, including guides and service personnel. The spaces are usually sold quickly so it is best to buy them at least 6 months in advance. To date, there are only spaces for the months of October, November and December 2016. You can check the space availability of the Inca Trail for 4 days.
- The route of the Short Inca Trail only admits 250 people. This route is new and unpopular so it is more available. You can check the availability of spaces of the Inca Trail for 2 days.
Inca Trail Backpack:
For the difference of days in both routes, the amount of clothes is less for the fast road. On the other hand, you should consider that on the classic route night camps are held while on the short route you spend the night in the town of Aguas Calientes. If you want to go lighter, the Short Inca Trail Trip is your option.